Wednesday, September 09, 2009

teaching / learning

Throughout my education there were key moments where I learned the most. As I've thought back to those times I was reminded how closely teaching and learning were connected for me.

When I started out at umich I was in a writing practicum course. As I learned about writing in college I became interested in working with other students. My growth as a student was tied to interaction with other writers.

At msu I continued writing center work. I saw ready connections to the ideas I encountered in class discussion and reading during my work with students.

During my time at ncsu I had many opportunities to pursue similar kinds of connections between teaching and learning. However, as I took classes I became interested in things that were not readily related to teaching. As the two grew further apart something happened.

I'm not entirely sure yet what happened. Was I distracted? There are many questions I know now that I should have asked. There is one thing that I am most curious about. Was my neglect of the teaching / learning connection the first misstep?

No comments: